Monday, July 26, 2010

“Alis Volat Propriis...”

If you were to ask, “What is one thing you have learned over the last two months?”, I would say simply; “I learned how to fly.”

Yes, I know it sounds foolish and you’re thinking “How is this possible? What is she talking about? Humans can’t fly!” However, for the first time in years I feel truly and completely free, and dare I say, strong enough to spread my wings. This is quite the milestone for me as I look back on the tremendous hardships I’ve endured within the past year and a half. Let’s just say, it’s been a long time coming.

A wise woman once told me I would never be satisfied or content in life until I truly started living my life for me, completely on my own terms. At the time, I couldn’t comprehend this concept especially after spending much of my life trying to please everyone else. It is only after I found the courage to step back from all of the toxic people and relationships in my life that I was able to truly learn how to love myself, leading to tremendous growth.

So many women tend to forget. You are your own person and you are here to love, grow, experience, and live your life for yourself. You are not here to seek approval or fulfill anyone else but yourself. Of course, this is a brave choice to make because often times, it consists of doing so completely alone. But it is a choice that can only be made possible through the commitment to believe in yourself.

So what’s the secret you ask? Well here is my secret. I wanted peace so badly and to live freely on my own terms instead of seeking it through others, I sought all of these things within myself. I prayed everyday about it, woke up thinking about it, and spoke it into existence every single day. I engaged in things that I truly loved to do and surrounded myself with positive, loving people who truly wanted to see me happy. And one day, I finally woke up with joy and peace in my heart. I believed there was nothing in this world I could not accomplish and I was not afraid to go after what I wanted.

There is a phrase that goes “Alis Volat Propriis.” In Latin, this means “she flies with her own wings.” I love this phrase because it represents the strength that exists in flying throughout this world and soaring on your own. Whatever comes your way, you are strong and brave enough to handle it. You are powerful and you don’t need anything or anyone to reinforce your strength. Do not be afraid to let go of things or people that may be hindering you from embarking on this journey. It may hurt, but the love and peace you will hold within yourself will be just that much sweeter.

Take the necessary time to learn yourself, love yourself, and know yourself. At the end of the day, no one is going to look out for you and your emotions like you will.

So don’t be afraid. Alis Volat Propriis. Spread your wings ladies. What are you waiting on?

- Gabrielle

No comments:

Post a Comment