Saturday, July 3, 2010

What's YOUR Hustle?

So after two weeks in Brooklyn, I’m convinced the state of New York is full of hustlas…not “hustlers” but hustlas…it’s that serious. They sleep, eat, drink their dreams daily. I have yet to meet someone who wasn’t about their money and peddling something or another, be it drugs, photography, newspapers, even earrings. And the crazy thing is, these people are all amazingly talented – I have so much respect for them. Take for instance SoundCheckLive, a monthly concert series of to-be-founds, and brainchild of my sister’s boyfriend, Brey King. He somehow manages to pack a club and hype grown men and women until they’re singing along to hilarious hooks like “Stop Lookin’ at My Moms!” from a thirteen year old with swagg bigger than he is, all while fueling the businesses of at least half of the audience. At his last show, I left not only with a pocket full of business cards, but a possible future internship with hands-down AMAZING jewelry maker AG of Made By AG, and a promise of a new signature scent by perfumist J Lani! What is it in the water over here that gives these people the confidence they need to market themselves to any and everyone?

And they’re definitely confident. The people over here are mad comfortable in their own skins and carry themselves like it’s their world and the rest of us are just living in it. I’m not saying this is a bad thing. In fact, I’m a little bit inspired. I think one of the artists at SoundCheckLive summed it up perfectly: “I’m a little bit conceited, yeah, I know. But if you don’t think you fine, ain’t nobody else gonna think so!!” The girl has a point. If you act like you KNOW you’re putting high quality products (or personality) into the world, people assume you’re established and you’re going to be better received. One successful reception after another builds up into a heaping helping of self-confidence, plus you’re making money and/or valuable contacts. My question: Why doesn’t everyone think like that? Why aren’t we using our own talents to our advantage?

I don’t know about you, but this summer, I’m taking a lesson from the Brooklyn-ites and finding my hustle. I’m talking take-every-opportunity-offered-plus-a-few-that-aren’t, the-word-no-is-not-in-my-vocabulary searching, trying everything until I find that one thing that feels like it’s my God (or insert deity of your choice here)-given talent. Step one: let go of people’s expectations of me. I’m never going to find my hustle if I’m worried that everything new is not what people expect or want from me. I want to do amazing things, have stories to tell my grandchildren, to look back and say, “Yeah, I had to make some sacrifices. But I did Every. Last. One. of the things that I really wanted to do.” (I heard a woman say that this morning and subsequently rearranged my life.) We’re in college! Try something new, be real with yourself, and suck the poison out of your life: it’s holding you back. I’m taking my own advice because I want need must have that BK sawgg, that knowledge deep down inside nothing can bring me down but me, and I refuse to start junior year without it.

And once I find it, I plan to dominate in everything life throws at me.

-Loren

2 comments:

  1. Love the post Loren! BK is all about the hustle and you captured it quite nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a Brooklynite and a self-proclaimed hustler, I enjoyed reading this post. You perfectly describe the atmosphere of the city, and really encompassed the "go-getting" attitude of most New Yorkers. What's in the water here? I don't know! But one thing for sure: I'm never going to stop drinking it! Lovely post, Ms. Loren. I don't know ya, but I like ya!

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete